All Topics » Pulse Connect Secure

Net speed drops 15-20 times when connected to VPN

saurabh811
Contributor (0)
Jun 22, 2017 1:52pm
I am using Pulse Secure version 5.3.1 on win 8.1 laptop. I use it to connect to my clients network.
Problem is my net speed drops by almost 20 times when I am connected to vpn. When not connected the speed is almost 20 times faster.
I am using internet via 4G connection thru my phone wifi hotspot. It is a very fast 4g connection. I am based in India.
Once connected with vpn the connection is so slow that I am hardly able to do anything. I have other colleagues, who use the same vpn but experience little slowdown on net when vpn is connected.
Why does my net slowdown so much when the client is connected to vpn.

zanyterp
Pulse Secure Contributor (40)
Aug 10, 2017 1:55pm
Does the speed drop at the same rate when connecting through other networks (e.g. wired ethernet, non-cellular WiFi)?
When you look at the advanced connection details, is the connection showing as SSL or ESP?
    saurabh811
    Contributor (0)
    Aug 12, 2017 12:11pm
    It says :
    Tunnel type: VPN
    VPN type: ESP

Yes, when I am on landline based broad band connection, there is very less speed drop. This seems to be very prominent on 4G mobile wireless internet that I normally use.
wprengaman
Contributor (0)
Sep 21, 2017 3:51am
I have the exact same problem. I am in the US. My IT guys are sure what the issue is. Id really appreciate any help at all. Connections without VNP on the same network are fine. Connect to VPN and my speed is generally less than 1Mbps
    Olivn
    Contributor (1)
    Sep 21, 2017 9:41am
    Is it ESP or SSL ?
    Because 8.2 still does not support TCP window scaling.

So SSL(TCP) connection works fine in the LAN but degrades as soon as the latency increase.