All Topics » Pulse Connect Secure

Junos Pulse, Windows Phone 8.1 - VPN stops passing traffic after 5 minutes idle

bb193
Contributor (11)
Jun 30, 2015 9:01am

We are using the Junos Pulse client on Windows 8.1 laptops, tablets and phones. We are using Pulse to connect to our corporate VPN, so all devices have access to all of the services on our network.

The laptops and tablets work fine. They can access email (outlook), Intranet, Internet (through a proxy), Lync, files etc etc. It is just like they have an ethernet connection straight onto our network.

However, we have a problem with the phones. They connect fine and I can synchronise email, calendar etc and I can also access the Intranet (more of the other services later). If I keep using the network connection every minute or two (eg sync emails or access pages on the intranet), it is OK. However, if the network connection is idle for about five minutes, traffic stops flowing.

The phone still thinkis it has a VPN connection.There is a small padlock next to the relevant network. The VPN configuration tool shows the VPN is on and connected. There is just no data flow. If I try to use it, I get error messages saying I cannot access the relevant server.

The only thing to do is to go into the VPN configuration and tell it to disconnect and then reconnect. This normally works, and normally it shows me a message from the VPN server, saying there is a session available and asking if I want to connect. So the VPN server thinks there is a connection too.

It feels like there is a timeout somewhere, but I can't find one, and also neither end thinks the VPN connection has disconnected. It is just there is no flow of traffic.

It is so frustrating - it almost works but not quite close enough.

Can anyone help at all?

bb193
Contributor (11)
Jul 2, 2015 7:53am

It's a shame I can't get the Junos Pulse client to work reliably on Windows Phones. It just seems as though Junos Pulse is not designed to provide 'always on' vpn services.

I think I'll just have to give up on the Junos Pulse client and switch to IKEv2, which is recommended by the government secrity guys (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/end-user-devices-security-guidance-windows-phone-81/end-user-devices-security-guidance-windows-phone-81#policy-recommendations) and also VPN comparisons (https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/4147/pptp-vs-l2tp-vs-openvpn-vs-sstp-vs-ikev2/).

If I get IKEv2 to wok with the phones, I'll probably just shift all services over to that instead, for consistency.

bb193
    Contributor (11)
    Jul 3, 2015 1:26am

I was so excited when I saw that there had been an updated version of the Junos Pulse client installed on my phone overnight! Had someone seen my post, realised there was a problem, fixed it and rolled it out?

It felt ridiculously unlikely, but after 30 years in the IT business, I still remain optimistic. Even if it wasn't my post, maybe the update might fix the problem.

Tested it. Stopped working after 5 minutes. Then the phone rebooted. IKEv2 here I come :-(

lyle42000
Contributor (0)
Sep 16, 2017 5:53am
I would change the VPN connection that is currently in use with the issues being faced with an aim to not solely remain anonymous but to gain admittance to confined content too. Being an online gaming addict, it is relatively hard for myself to resist any kind of delay while playing my favorite web games.

Hence, with a target to interact, browse or download confined content and even play with gamers all over the universe, I have to get around the limited admittance while making use of the [url=http://itday.com/vpn/top-five-best-steam-vpn-way-use-vpn-steam/]best VPN for Steam[/url].

What do you reckon? Kindly please correct me if I'm incorrect.